Finding my neighbors older maple tree having bark fall off of tree with a...

Finding my neighbors older maple tree having bark fall off of tree with a black tar type of canker inside the bark. Because of the location of the tree being so close to my and their house (backyard near house) I'm concerned for its health

Cuyahoga County Ohio

Information obtained from the Penn State Extension for Bleeding Canker: Reddish-brown cankers develop in the inner bark of the main trunk and branches. The bark over the canker becomes sunken, and reddish-brown sap oozes out. Leaves wilt and branches die. The pathogen cause is Phytophthora cactorum. Management isuggested for this is Removal of the infected tree and do not replace it with a woody ornamental until the soil has been fumigated and aerated thoroughly. Be cause this is your neighbors tree. It wood be best to take pictures and a sample to the Ohio State Extension for Cuyahoge County in Cleveland Ohio. Cuyahoga County Office 5320 Stanard Avenue Cleveland, OH 44103 Phone: 216-429-8200 Fax: 216-429-3146 mccoy.637@osu.edu Directions to Cuyahoga County Extension Office Hours of Operation Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Another suggestion would be to confir with a notable arborist. I do not know the severity of the disease process, the amount of die back from the disease process. This would determine the likelihood of the tree causing property damage. However the disease process does affect the soil In the area and its possible to present problems for other nearby plants. Again, this is you neighbors tree and ultimately his decision. Karen