Staghorn Sumac

Hi, I am hoping you can help me. We have 4 acres of property in the Bemidji area. We have about 1/2 an acre of Staghorn Sumac. Over the weekend we planted 50 evergreen trees on our land. We have a big pile of dead branches of the Staghorn. This Staghorn is fastly growing and taking over our land and trees. We are not wanting to spread this at all. None of our neighbors seem to have this Staghorn problem. Are we able to get rid of this Staghorn and if so, what is the best way? Kati

Beltrami County Minnesota

Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) is a native plant that spreads through both a strong root system and seed propagation by birds from the flowers. It is suited to poor soil in dry, full sun locations and is effective in erosion control when massed on slopes or in hard-to-cover areas with poorer soils. It is attractive to wildlife and has beautiful fall color.

I think your could use the same mechanisms for ridding your land of sumac as you would for buckthorn. Here's a MN DNR publication on controlling buckthorn (not yet in the Bemidji area, I don't believe): http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/buckthorn/control.html