Landscape

We're new to the area and recently purchased a home. After a year of observing our yard, I know I need to repair our grass and work on landscaping. In one picture, you can see bald spots in the yard. Because we have kids running in the yard, I need to reseed the lawn in the fall, but I don't know which type to use. I think I also need to aerate the yard and work on the thatch. So, I'm looking for help to know how to repair the damaged grass. The second picture shows part of the front yard. On the left side, which is the southeast corner, I think I need to plant a 4-6ft. tree. The area gets full sun (6 hours). Because the house is brown, I'd like to plant a flowery tree. I'm considering a hydrangea. Do you have a recommendation for a colorful tree to plant?

Hennepin County Minnesota hydrangea horticulture lawn repair shrub recommendation