Question about rain on plant leaves

Hello! I live in the Seattle area, and am an absolute beginner to gardening. I decided to start slow by growing a tomato plant in a container. I have read in several places that you should avoid getting water on the leaves when watering, or they will be prone to disease/fungus. If that is such a big deal, though, how is a plant supposed to withstand the rain? I'm so paranoid that I brought my plant inside for the night since there's rain in the forecast, but this seems pretty crazy. Please help me understand and hopefully stop worrying? Or do I have to towel off my plant after each of our endless rains? Thanks for your time and help! Best wishes from Washington!

King County Washington

Welcome to the world of gardening! Yes, it is true that when the triangle of host plant, moisture and disease/fungus are all at the right place at the right time there can be problems.

However, all three elements are needed to put a plant at risk. So, with that leaving your tomato outside during Washington rainy times is fine. Make sure your tomato is located in a area that receives as much "sun" as possible. Meaning not on the shady side of your house/apt. if possible. Here is a publication on how to grow tomatoes in the home garden. http://pubs.wsu.edu/ItemDetail.aspx?ProductID=15705&SeriesCode=&CategoryID=&Keyword=toma... Good luck!

That helps a lot - thanks, Sheila!