morel mushroom

Asked April 25, 2017, 6:56 PM EDT

Are these morel mushrooms. They are growing on our farm and we would like to eat them.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

1 Response

We do not have a mycologist on staff and we are not authorized to identify mushrooms as to whether they are edible or poisonous. We suggest that you contact the Mycological Society of Washington D.C.
http://mawdc.org/

This looks like it may be a morel. However, there are several types and can be poisonous if not identified correctly. Even edible morel mushrooms have been known to cause allergic reactions and gastrointestinal upset.

mh