Black Walnut Stump

We recently had a black walnut tree cut down because it was dying. The stump isn't bothering anyone, so I'm inclined to leave it, but someone told me that the stump would be an invitation to termites and other pests. Is that true? If it is important to remove it, any suggestions to help me sort through the myriad of options the internet has provided? Thanks, Ryan

Marion County Oregon stump removal horticulture

Black walnuts are having a hard time. I don’t know if this is what was killing your tree, but because it is a serious problem, here is information about Thousand Cankers Disease. According to the Walnut Council, “Tree mortality is the result of attack by the walnut twig beetle and subsequent canker development around beetle galleries caused by a fungal associate of the beetle. This disease complex has been named Thousand Cankers Disease.” Find out more about Thousand Cankers Disease. Colorado State University issued Questions and Answers about Thousand Cankers Disease of Walnut in 2012. The concern with this disease is transporting the wood elsewhere. If in fact you suspect Thousand Cankers Disease, remove the stump by grinding as suggested by UC Davis IPM site Thousand Cankers Disease and the Walnut Twig Beetle in California.