Gardening - Type of weed

Asked April 24, 2017, 9:41 PM EDT

I have a vining invasive weed taking over my backyard. I was wondering what type of weed it is and what I can do nonchemically and/or chemically to get rid of it?

Baltimore County Maryland

1 Response

This is Glechoma hederacea, commonly known as ground ivy or creeping Charlie. Hand pulling or using an appropriate weeding tool are the primary means of mechanical control. This is a viable option at the beginning of an infestation and on young weeds.

For chemical control, spot-treat with a liquid, selective, post-emergent, broadleaf weed killer applied when weeds are actively growing. Look for a combination product with the following active ingredients:
2, 4-D, MCPP (mecoprop), Dicamba (be careful when using around tree and shrub roots) or Triclopyr.

Here is additional information on ground ivy and options for controlling it: