Creeping Charlie

Hi

Creeping Charlie is taking over my lawn, not sure what to do, there are large patches that get larger every year although there are still areas of healthy grass in between.

Should I try to dig up the creeping Charlie and plant grass? Use and herbicide that won't kill surrounding grass? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Clay County South Dakota

Ground Ivy, aka Creeping Charlie, is a difficult one to control and is best done in the fall. Pulling by hand is one option; be sure to get as much of the root system as possible. There are a number of broadleaf weed herbicides (weed killers) available for use on lawns. Only apply to actively growing weeds. Choices found in garden centers typically include 2,4-D (2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid); mecoprop or MCPP (2-(2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxy) propionic acid); or dicamba (3,6-dichloro-o-anisic acid); with two and three-way combinations available. But there must be repeat applications to maintain control. You can use the chemicals in spot treatments. Glyphosate (Roundup) is the only treatment that controls it but it will kill the grass too. I have attached a link to the reasons for fall treatment if you need to go after it again in the fall. Good luck, it is a difficult weed to control.
http://igrow.org/gardens/gardening/fall-lawn-weed-control/