Birding

I feed birds during the winter. I use seed mix, suet, and this spring have added Niger for Finches. Now that temps are getting warmer, I am conflicted as to continue feeding or not. I have read arguments for continuing to feed all year round, and to stop during the summer months. I've also read that mainly suet should only be offered in the winter due to fat content and spoilage in hot temps. Thanks, Laura

Cuyahoga County Ohio backyard birds

There is no harm in feeding birds through the summer! They are unlikely to eat as much as they do during the winter but will appreciate the extra snack while building nests and feeding their young! It is possible to feed suet during the summer but you have to take a few precautions. If temperatures are consistently above 90 degrees the suet will melt. It can also soften and become a mess if the temperatures do not drop enough at night. Try keeping the suet in a shady area or freezing it before feeding. Also try to limit the suet offered to what will be consumed in a day!