Threadleaf and riddel groundsel

I have about 5 acres on which I keep 2 horses. Last winter both became ill from toxcicity due to threadleaf and riddel groundsel. Now that is is spring, how do I get rid of this weed without killing what grass there is?

El Paso County Colorado pastures and forages weeds

Groundsel's often become a problem when a pasture is over grazed. Evaluate your pasture and determine if this is the case. If so, then while treating the pasture you will want to give it a rest by keeping the horses off. You can keep the horses in a corral or other pasture while the grass and other grazing plants are recovering. Below is the URL to a fact sheet on Groundsel. It has control recommendations included. Be sure to follow all grazing restrictions so your horses don't get ill from the pasture treatment.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_b/B113/welcome.html

After looking at the fact sheet if you still have questions, get in touch with your El Paso County Extension Office or eXtension.

Good Luck,

Marvin