Spring Lawn Watering

Hi,
I am sorry if you have answered this 100 times. I did a quick search of the site, but did not find my answer. So here it goes-
In a dry spring like we are experiencing here in Fort Collins- when ( time of year) and how often would you suggest I start watering my established lawn (Kentucky bluegrass)? I don't want to waste water or jump start my grass to early, but I do want to take good care of my lawn and have a nice looking lawn. Suggestions as to the guidelines I should follow such as: time of year, soil temperatures, air temperature, natural rainfall, etc, etc would be very helpful. Thanks, Bill

Larimer County Colorado lawns and turf

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your question. Right now, at this point in the season, Kentucky bluegrass turf needs about one inch of water per week. Since we're going to get some rain the next couple days (fingers crossed), you won't to irrigate for at least a week or longer.

It has been a very dry start to spring, so if we don't continue to get regular moisture, then aim for that one inch per week. As summer ramps up and the temperatures increase, the water needs of turf increase to 1.5-2.0 inches per week (July-August). But that is for a "good" quality lawn. Bluegrass can get by with less.

If you fertilize, plan to apply at least 1/2" of irrigation to water it in well...this will help "active" the fertilizer and get the nutrients into the turf root zone. Irrigation is especially important if you're using a crabgrass preventer or synthetic fertilizer.