Groundcover

What sort of ground cover can I plant on a steep hillside behind my home? I am located in Newport Ky in the Aspen Ridge subdivision. The water run-off has gotten worse in the last year or so, and I don't know what could have changed to cause the erosion I am having. In addition, the hillside is shaded in the summer due to trees. I have sown grass seed in the fall and spring with mixed results.

Campbell County Kentucky campbell county kentucky horticulture ground cover

Good morning,

Growing turf grass in the shade is challenging. Fescue grass prefers sun with cooler temperatures. A few quick suggestions would be: creeping juniper (many varities available and evergreen.), liriope, ornamental grasses.... here is a UK publication with a few more helpful suggestions. going to a few of our local plant nurseries will help too, like highland nursery and ft. thomas florist. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ho/ho61/ho61.pdf
t me know if you have any other questions.