Fungus and ooze on dogwood?

I pruned a shrub (I think it's a red twig dogwood) a few weeks ago to pull out dead twigs. Today I saw that some the cuts were oozing and a fungus was growing on the oozing substance. See photos. What is it and what should I do about it? Thanks!

Olmsted County Minnesota pruning shrubs tree and shrub diseases horticulture

Thank you for the question. It looks like you have bacterial wetwood infection resulting from the pruning injury. Bacteria was probably introduced at the time of pruning and with the recent warm weather, has forced its way out. When exposed to the air, the sap can become contaminated with other organisms, resulting in a smelly, foamy mess sometimes referred to as slime flux. There is no treatment suggested but you might want to read up on proper pruning techniques to minimize damage: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/pruning-trees-shrubs/.

Thank you for contacting Extension.