Too Late for Grapevine trimming?

Hi, I'm living in a house with some crazy grapevines. We started renting in the fall. They put out some good fruit last year and I don't know if they had been trimmed. They are all over the place and I thought I should trim them back, but am I too late? Also, can you suggest a good resource on how much to trim back? The homeowners seem interested in letting them grow bigger than a classic vineyard-style wire as they seem to have been trained onto an eight-foot fence.

Benton County Oregon grapes

Thanks for your question about grapevine pruning. In answer, you are too late if you care about having fruit this year, since grapevines put flowers (and then fruit) on one-year growth. If you cut off the buds, you won't have grapes until next year.

Here's a link to a similar question and another to a complete article on the subject, referenced in the first.

(By the way, from the viewpoint of a retired lawyer, you might want to discuss your plans with your landlord, since they are, technically, his/her vines!)

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.