mildew on cherry tree leaves

I had mildew problems last fall on my cherry tree. I did not treat it, but am wondering if there is any prep work that I need to do this spring to circumvent the infection. The leave debris is removed. I do have chips underneath the tree. I will be adding new chips in May. Thank you

Ramsey County Minnesota powdery mildew cherry trees horticulture

Although raking up leaf debris is a good idea, powdery mildew in cherries overwinters in the buds. The spores are released at budbreak. Fortunately, powdery mildew is not typically a serious problem in Minnesota, so we don't recommend further treatment, such as fungicides, unless your tree has a serious infection several years running. Read here about powdery mildew:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/integrated-pest-management-for-home-stone-frui...

Wood chips are a good idea, but make sure they don't touch the trunk of the tree. Keep them several inches away, and use them to mulch out to the dripline.