Hello, I have these mushrooms growing all over a decaying maple chip pile. I was wondering if they are edible. I looks like other animals have been feeding on them. Is there someplace I can take a sample and have an expert look at them? Thanks, Doug
Marion County Oregon
This may be the spring fruiting of Agrocybe praecox, common on wood chips in the spring. Agrocybe praecox has a cracked or fissured cap and a membraneous veil connecting the young cap to the stalk. If it is this mushroom, it will develop gills that start out pallid in color and become brownish in age.
I suggest that you go to a library and look this fungus up. The book "Mushrooms Demystified" would be a good choice. Also check out this link to Agrocybe praecox in "California Fungi": http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Agrocybe_praecox.html
I won't advise edibility without closely examining the mushroom. I don't know of any places that you can bring the mushroom to have it examined.