Euonymus

A few years ago I took down a mature (20-30 years?) burning bush shrub and ever since I've have seedings popping up in my yard. This year seems worse than ever and I can't keep up with them by pulling (they're tough to yank up) and cutting them with the lawnmower obviously isn't reducing the population. Can you recommend a method for eradication? I'm attaching a second picture of another tough woody plant coming up throughout our yard--do you recognize it and will whatever you recommend for the Euonymus work with this plant as well? Thank you.

Howard County Maryland euonymus invasive shrub invasive plant shrub euonymus seedlingerradication

The seed bank (deposits of many years of seeds) beneath a mature euonymus alatus is truly phenomenal and, as you know, lasts an amazing number of years. Although it may be discouraging to see so many seedlings in the lawn, the more seeds that germinate now (and it will vary from year to year depending on the weather), the fewer seeds are left in the soil in the future. Persistent regular mowing should starve the fledgling root systems so that they will die out without further steps. If you like, you can use a woody plant herbicide, containing triclopyr, to kill the seedlings, but it is not necessary. (Read the label carefully if you do this.) With patience, you will win out. And give yourself a pat on the back for getting rid of that invasive euonymus before it could wreak havoc in the environment.