pruning a new catalpa tree

I have grown a catalpa tree from seed and now have a question about the proper way to prune it. I have attached two pictures of it and they show growth in the middle that is new this year and considerably smaller than the other branches. Is this the part I want to focus on to get a good tree? Thank you, Judy Barnes

Hennepin County Minnesota

The original leader appears to have been damaged and you have two choices, one is to prune off all except the center branch or two, prune all except the most vertical branch and stake it so it will grow more vertically.

I am sorry to have taken so long to respond but I wanted to wait til growth started. All of the tips of the tree seem to be damaged (see close up attached). The rest of the tree appears to be growing normally (see attached - second pic).
I am not sure what you mean by "leader" - would that be the branch that is growing the tallest and straightest?

The leader is (was) the dark colored central stem that now appears to be dead. Select the longest and straightest of the remaining stems to become the new leader.

thanks so much for your help