Weed identification and control

Could you help me identify this plant? This is my second year in this home, and I am relatively new to gardening - it began coming up last year in my north and east facing beds - it gets about 6-8 inches tall, mid- to dark-green leaves, and I think it had occasional stalks of flowers later on in season (purple possibly? my memory is failing.). I can pull the leaves relatively easily, but the roots seems to be in a tough, stringy, web under the surface. Last fall I realized if I didn't get it taken care of this spring, it was going to choke out my plants - it's grown that quickly, covering hostas, bleeding hearts, etc. What is it, and what are options to remove it? I'll entertain any ideas right now - it's begun moving it's way around the front of my house....thank you much! Missy Knutson

Hennepin County Minnesota

It appears to be a wildflower, check https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/virginia-waterleaf. They can be difficult to eradicate but digging is the greenest method.