Briargate - Soil Amendments

I have reviewed "Choosing a Soil Amendment" (Fact Sheet 7.235). Our soil is sandy; the fact sheet suggests that sphagnum peat and aged or composted manure would be good choices.
1. Can you recommend a local source (in Colorado Springs) for aged or composted manure?
2. My next door neighbor is a very accomplished gardener; I'm not sure if she is a master gardener but she cultivates award-winning day lilies. She advised me NOT to use peat moss as an amendment, yet the fact sheet specifically recommends sphagnum peat (but not Colorado mountain peat) as an amendment. I'm confused... your thoughts?

El Paso County Colorado soil and fertility issues

Thank you for your question.

Re: Aged Manure. Unfortunately we are unable to recommend specific businesses. A smart choice would be to go to a reputable local nursery. Choose one that has been around for several years. Avoid the big box stores.

Re: For sandy soil - sphagnum peat is an excellent soil amendment. Hopefully your neighbor was referring to mountain peat. Don't be confused. Colorado State University has done extensive research on this extremely important subject. 80% of plant problems in Colorado are due to our soil. You are making the right decision to amend.