Apartment Mold

Asked April 13, 2017, 8:51 AM EDT

My daughter and her 10 yr old daughter lives in an apartment at Rock Creek 185th apartments, in Washington County. They have had mold, about 6ft by3 ft in/on their ceiling that is open to their loft style bedroom, living room and dining room, for at LEAST 2 yrs. Maintenance finally came in last week and painted the area. I know by flipping houses that you don't just paint it. That size of mold needs professional contractors remove it safely. Where do they go from here? Her contact info is as follows: oki_doki10@hotmail.com or 503.939.6048 or what health department do we contact?

Washington County Oregon

1 Response

Hello,

You are correct that painting over mold does not solve the problem. To solve the problem you need to first find the cause of the problem - usually due to water. If the mold is on the ceiling, there could be condensation forming due to how the roof/crawlspace is insulated or ventilated. High humidity levels in the apartment can also be contributing - running bathroom and kitchen fans for at least 30 minutes can help reduce humidity levels. However, if I understand what you are asking, you are asking for ways to work with the landlord to ensure the mold is removed and the source issue properly treated?

I would recommend this list of resources from the Oregon Health Authority: https://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/HealthyNeighborhoods/ToxicSubstances/Pages/mold.aspx

A few things the Oregon Health Authority mentions:

  • Mold over 10 square feet requires professional removal
  • Document the mold with photographs
  • Contact the Community Alliance of Tenants to discuss the rights you have as a renter: http://oregoncat.org/

I hope this is helpful.

Best,
Diana