Lawn repair and buckthorn

Hello. We had an old chain link fence along the back of our property which was dividing the backyard lawn and some dense trees. It was an eyesore so we had the fence removed recently before the trees started to leaf out. The equipment they used left track marks in the grass. Can you tell me how to repair this? Most of the tracks are not very deep - about an inch or so. There are a few spots that are a little deeper. I've attached two photos. Also, the previous owners installed the fence to keep all the growth out of the yard. It looks like it's mostly buckthorn. We're going to try to pull it out within the first five feet this spring, so we can at least try to keep it mowed back over the summer. Do you have any recommendations on how to handle this in the future? Should we try planting some new trees or shrubs along that line? It's several hundred feet long and we don't want to invest a lot because we probably won't live here for more than 5-7 years. I would like the area to look nice though. I was looking at something like black chokeberry as a long hedge. Do you think that would work, or would the buckthorn grow through? Should we just keep it natural looking? Thanks for your help. Susan Hatch Credit River Township

Scott County Minnesota

The tracks shouldn't be a problem. Rake them as smooth as you can and seed. For the deeper ones, add some soil or compost and then seed. However, the buckthorn is a real problem. It will continue to expand both by roots and seed. You should try to kill as much of it as possible. Here is the information from the DNR on getting rid of buckthorn: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/buckthorn/control.html

I saw my my letter and your response were shared in Ask An Expert. My name and address were also posted. Can you please remove them? Thank you.