Soil in Falcon Colorado

I live East of Colorado Springs and just South of Black Forest. I have heard the soil here is very bad for growing anything. Last summer we had two blue spruce and two Ponderosa pines planted. One Ponderosa died in two months, the two blue spruce died within the last three months. We followed directions and watered when the temp got above 50 degrees this winter. It is very windy and we would like some trees to block some of the wind. We are thinking of replacing a larger amount of dirt at planting site and putting in a fast-growing cedar. We really need some advice before we waste another few thousand dollars.

Thank you

Janet LaCount

El Paso County Colorado soil and fertility issues

Hello Janet,
thank you for your question.

In order to figure out what happened to your trees I have a couple of questions for you. Do you know if you have sandy soil or clay? Did you amend your planting area? How often did you water after planting? Did the trees receive individual watering or water from the sprinkler system?
CSU extension suggests to have the tree flare (area where the trunk and root-ball meet) should be 1-2 inches above the soil level with a planting hole at least 2 times the width of the root ball.
I have attached a link that will help you select an evergreen that you find more suitable for your needs. Always consider the mature size when selecting an area for new trees to be planted. The 2nd link will give you information on soil amending your soil prior to planting. The last 2 links will give you some information on planting and preparing your planting site.
http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/evergreen-trees-7-403/