Wild garlic

Good afternoon
I live in Ravenna MI, and have wild garlic/onion growing in my flower beds
What can I use to kill it but not hurt my plants?
Thank you for your help

Muskegon County Michigan weeds weed control noxious weeds

Wild onion and wild garlic are hard to control. For small amounts hand weeding is best. You must dig down and get the little bulbs out. Do not let the plants flower- if they do and you can't weed them out, at least cut the flowers off before they go to seed.

Repeatedly clipping off the leaves will eventually exhaust the bulbs below ground and kill them. This will take several clippings per season, and multiple seasons.

There are no chemicals that kill only wild onion and don't affect other plants. You can paint on chemical weed killers using a disposable paint brush, being careful to not drip any on your good plants. You could use a shield of cardboard or plastic while applying the chemical. Remove the shield after applying chemicals.

Glyphosate can kill them- use as strong a concentration as you can find ( read the percentage on the label). Repeated applications will be necessary. Note that you must leave the leaves on the plant for a period of time, usually 2 weeks, so that the chemical has time to move into the bulbs below ground and kill them.

There are other chemicals that can be used- read about them in this article---

The above article is addressing warm season lawns which we do not have here in Michigan. But the chemicals listed for homeowners will work. Do not get them on any desirable plants.

Always read and follow all instructions and precautions on the label of any product you use. I'm sorry there isn't an easy way to get rid of these pesky plants! Thank you
for using our service.