Milkweed Plants or Seeds

I have a wetland pasture and surrounding land and would like to plant milkweed for the Monarch Butterflies. Where might I turn to acquire seeds or plants? Thanks, Jerry

York County Pennsylvania butterflies horticulture

I would suggest you visit the York County native plant sale in May 13th sponsored by the Yokk County Master Gardeners. York County Native Plant Sale MAEscapes and the York Penn State Master Gardeners 21st annual Native Plant Sale. When (Date/Time) May 13, 2017, 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM Where York County Annex, 112 Pleasant Acres Rd, York PA 17402 If you can't find a milk weed plant at this sale you might find milkweed seeds on line. Below is a response provided by another Master Gardener. It doesn't identify specific retail establishments but does include references on what type of meilweed seed to purchase. There are many kinds of milkweed, but the one I raise is called butterfly weed. The Xerces Society publishes a milkweed finder to help you find the best species for your area: Milkweed Seed Finder. These are three species that grow in Pennsylvania: Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) There are several native plant nurseries in Pennsylvania. "Edge of the Woods" is located in Orefield outside of Allentown, but you may find one closer to you through a search engine. As for growing seeds, you can buy butterfly weed seeds from most reputable seed companies, and the seed packet will have instructions for germinating the seeds. One thing you need to note is that milkweed is attacked by an orange aphid that can kill the plant. You can't use pesticides since you don't want to kill Monarch caterpillars, so be prepared to visit your milkweed frequently to remove the aphids. Profile_thumb Eileen E