Box Elder bugs out of control

My neighbor has two Box Elder trees that generate gazillions of box elder bugs. What can be done to control the bugs? My neighbor chooses to do nothing. Are these trees and their bug problem considered a nuisance by any MN law?

Hennepin County Minnesota boxelder bugs

Box elder bugs can seem overwhelming: they often cover bark on female box elder trees and sometimes blanket other maples. Box elder bugs are more of a nuisance than a pest. There are many preventative actions to keep them out of your home. If they are coming into the home a residual insecticide can be applied as directed in the extension briefs along with the preventative actions.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/boxelder-bugs/
The benefits of large shade trees far outweighs the nuisance factor of the bugs, and the fact that they fly several blocks and up to a couple miles and they can live on other members of the maple family, not just boxelder trees makes tree removal impractical. I hope this has helped.