We have a pear tree that is losing its bark at the base...like it's peeling...

We have a pear tree that is losing its bark at the base...like it's peeling away. I do not see any parasites. I've read on-line advice that I should trim the bark away so it can become callused; others say to leave it alone. What do you advise?

Shelby County Ohio pear trees

Hi Shelby County, I can't tell from your description what is going on with your tree. If you had a picture of the affected area, it might be possible to tell. I will also hazard a guess that it might be the change from young bark on the tree to mature bark. This happens a lot of time when the young bark on a tree is smooth and then as it ages the bark becomes rough and looks like it is peeling away. This is only natural and makes the older bark look like there is something wrong. If this is the case, you just leave the tree alone and it will continue to do its thing and grow into a mature tree.

Send a picture if you like. Hope this helps. Don