Mulching daffodil bulbs

Can I cover my daffodil bulbs with mulch once they have bloomed but before the leaves turn brown? These bulbs have bloomed well last spring and this one. However, by waiting for the leaves to turn brown before I mulched, this area of my garden was overrun with a tall grass, impossible to remove. The grass died down over the winter and the daffodils are again blooming well. Nevertheless I don't want a repeat of last year's invasive grass problem. There are rose bushes in the area of the bulb garden so I am concerned about a weed killer. I also live in Dorchester County near the water, so I don't use weed killers in general. Thank you.

Dorchester County Maryland mulch daffodils

You can spread mulch around the base of the daffodil plants now. Make sure the mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the plant stems. You do not have to wait until the leaves brown to spread mulch. You cannot cover the plants or foliage with mulch.