Seedlings

I started my veg seedlings indoors. I started corn, tomatoes, green peppers, broccoli, basil, cilantro. I'm am using Miracle Grow Potting Mix. They are beginning to outgrow the starter pots. With the warmer weather coming can I transplant them outside now? Or should I transplant to a bigger pot indoors for a few more weeks?

Sibley County Minnesota

Although it is tempting to plant them outside, don't do it. Most of your plants are very cold sensitive and transplanting them too soon will kill or severely delay their growth. It seems a little counterintuitive, but planting out too early can actually result in a later and lesser harvest.

For example, tomatoes can't handle anything under 40 degrees and won’t grow unless the soil temperature is over 55. Night temps below 60 causes their flowers to drop. Unless we have an extraordinary spring or you used a heat-retaining cover, you would not be gaining anything by transplanting early, but instead would stress the plant and subject it to diseases.

Planting in bigger indoor pots is the way to go.

Thank you for your speedy response. I have one more question for you. This is only because Amazon is not answering. I bought English Lavender seeds and planted them indoors the same time I planted the others that are outgrowing the pots. They are not growing. I googled it since Amazon has nothing, and one site says "cold stratify" another said it takes 30 days to germinate. Another says plant and go, they will bloom in late spring. All sites say Hardy in Zone 4 but still no growth. Any advise? I can't return them to Amazon , so I'd like them to grow. Or possibly a recommendation of where I could get Lavender that will actually grow.

Lavender is very slow from seeds and often does not come true - meaning you might not get the kind you think you planted. Most people buy small plants in the spring or take cuttings from established plants. Plants are commonly available in the spring in garden centers. They are often sold in the herb section.

Your plants will not bloom this year and may take a few years to get established. Although some sellers say English lavender is hardy in zone 4, that is with fingers crossed and lots of winter protection. I plant a few dozen lavender plants in my garden each summer and the only ones that come back are those that are in the area where snow is plowed.