crabgrass

Asked the local extension for the best time to apply crabgrass prereemergence. Was told that now (on or about March 25 when I called) would be a good time. Received Crabgrass Special Circular 150 a few days later and read that May 10 to May 20 would be the best time for our area - Other PA areas. So which is it for southern Butler County?

Butler County Pennsylvania lawns and turf

Now. May will be too late and crabgrass will have already germinated.

Jeff: Thank you for your reply. The confusion on my part was due to the interpretation of Special Circular 150 where the time of application lists three regions with corresponding times. I also subscribe to Pennsylvania Gardener where under regional reports topics are grouped by Northern, Central, and South; roughly equivalent to to P.S. extension's: Southeastern, Northern, and Other. From my point of view P.S. Extension's "Other" region would be the same as the "Central" region for P.G.'s readers. The "Other" Pennsylvania areas in Circular 150 suggests application from May 10 - May 20. It would be more helpful, for me at least, for Circular 150 to be more specific with respect to areas. Thanks again. Ron Kirkwood