Seedlings giving rise to flies

Hello, I've noticed that my seedlings (tomato, pepper and eggplant) that have been sown indoors and are getting window sunlight have suddenly given rise to a lot of house flies. I've never opened any of my windows. Is this normal and does it happen to a lot of people. I water my seedlings once a week and the soil is pretty dry on top. Were their eggs originally in the seed starting mix (I use Espoma seed starting mix which has a mix of peat moss and pearlite, etc)? I try to catch them with my vacuum cleaner but each morning I see more. It's not a big big problem since the flies just hang out at the window. I'm curious as to how this has come to be and if there are ways to prevent them next year. Thanks!

Howard County Maryland flies pest control insect

We would guess that these are cluster flies and are unrelated to your seedlings. They show up in sunny windows in the spring.
You are doing just the right thing with your vacuum.
See more about them here:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/flies