lawn seeding issues

For many years I've followed the MN rule and prepared and reseeded sections of my lawn in the autumn. It comes up beautifully that same autumn but come spring it is dead as can be and I end up reseeding all over again. I normally use seed composed of fescues and ryegrass for drought tolerance and do a fall seeding as recommended. What should I be doing different?

Anoka County Minnesota turfgrass lawn management grass seeding time

Thank you for the question. You are correct in overseeding your lawn in the fall. The best time is between mid-August and mid-September because there is less competition from weeds yet still time for the grasses to develop the root system necessary to sustain themselves through the winter. According to our publication on seeding and sodding home lawns, it takes 6-12 weeks for seed to establish and a full growing season to become a durable lawn. Proper watering and fertile soil are important to this establishment. You may want to submit a soil sample to uncover any deficiencies. Here is information on how to submit your sample and about seeding lawns:

Thank you for contacting Extension.