moles in the garden bed

My knee high calla lilies disappeared overnight! All that is left are dozens of little holes in the soil where the lily stalks were unfolding. I am assuming that a mole has taken up residence in my garden. I see no raised hills of dirt or even holes that could lead to tunnels in both the lawn and the garden beds. I have read about natural remedies but they all say to put the products in the holes. Is there something that can be applied on the surface? Thank you so much.

Multnomah County Oregon moles

Thanks for your question about dealing with moles. They do love bulbs (lilies, caladium, canna and liatris! But, in truth, you have voles, not moles. Moles are insectivores (they eat insects). Voles, which are smaller, are the vegetarians of the underworld. But, bulbs are especially tasty for gophers! You might have moles, as well, and the voles use the moles' tunnels much like the MAX. Had you moles, you'd see the mounds.

So, for universal control: here's an article that explains the difference, and here's the link to the publication that will make you the neighborhood expert on the subject. (Hit 'view PDF' on the second page; it just corrects Washington law.

Hope these are helpful. Good luck!