clivia with short blooms

this spring both of my clivias bloomed (a month apart) on stunted stems of only a few inches so flowers were buried between the leaves. never happened before. might you know of any possible cause?

Anne Arundel County Maryland clivia houseplant

In general, clivia flowers are pretty low in the foliage. It may be helpful to send us photos so we can see what you may be dealing with. Here is some information on care http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=16273

The operative part of my email was that this yr's blooms are much shorter than prior blooms, so your response does not answer my question of why this might be. I have attached a pic showing the most recent bloom which tops at 6" above soil. The other plant topped at about 4". Previous yrs' blooms were all about 12", so around top of the leaves.

Clivias are challenging. While too little light will result in no flower production, the problem you are having is caused by their need for a short early-winter rest period of six to eight weeks, at temperatures slightly below 50 degrees. Not an easy task. If they are not able to have this rest, they can be forced into premature bloom, with the flower stalks barely peeking out of the leaves.
It is suggested that you water as much as needed during the growing period of spring and summer to keep the mix thoroughly moist, but gradually reduce water in fall and then keep them almost dry (and cooler) during the rest period.