Water snake?

What kind of snake is this? Our guess is a diamondback water snake but I am having a hard time finding another picture with the same markings.

Calhoun County Texas

Can you give me a little more information? I know the county, but what habitat was it found in? What is the approximate size? Do you have any other photos (perhaps of the head or belly)?

This was the only picture I got. We were staying at powderhorn RV park near Matagorda and indianola.

While water snake was a good guess, the snake you saw was an Eastern hog-nosed snake (Heterodon platirhinos). Their background dorsal color varies greatly from brown or olive to tan or yellow. They typically have a series of small circles running the length of the body on each side of the body which your photo shows clearly. Some specimen can be entirely black (melanistic). They can grow to nearly three feet long.

Their favorite food are toads although they will also eat frogs and an occasional lizard. The young eat insects.

They get their name from the upturned rostral scale on their nose which aids in burrowing. Eastern hog-nosed snakes are venomous but unlike rattlesnakes they are rear-fanged. They rarely bite humans but bites can result in a large amount of swelling. Their venom and delivery method is not very potent except when used use on a small prey like a toad.

The one you saw is one of the prettiest hog-nosed snakes I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for your response!!!