(deer resistant...) trees, bushes, plants for mn riverbank

Asked March 25, 2017, 11:40 AM EDT

Greetings. It's my understanding that the area I am speaking of (where I live) is an oak savanna - what (trees, bushes, perennial plants) would you recommend to plant on the mn riverbank that 1. will assist in reinforcing the ground (it is soft / much top soil...) 2. are deer resistant 3. disease resistant 4. would be a food source for migrating birds and 5. and would provide shelter for wildlife...etc In advance, thank you for your time and attention.

Hennepin County Minnesota landscaping deer resistant plants deer resistant plants for slope slope stabilization

Deer resistance and slope stabilizing characteristics will be the most challenging requirements. I would concentrate on selecting those so the plants preform as you hope. The Tough plants for Tough places has lists of plants to choose from and advice for getting them established.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/best-plants-for-tough-sites/
Pines and dense shrubs provide excellent shelter for birds and wildlife. Grasses provide food for migrating birds and are vigorous enough to out grow deer browsing. Good plants for birds that are deer resistant can be ones that deer don't like because they are strong tasting or plants that are very vigorous and tolerate being "cut back". Paging through the book on tough plants will provide several
selections that I hope work well for you.

Thank you for the advice, and the link. Very helpful.
All my best.