Peach tree disease

I have a 8 yr old peach tree near the Choptank River (1000 feet away) The tree grows well The fruit, however, grows normally to golf ball size and then shrivels to look like large raisins. Every one. What should I do? What is the nature of this illness? Thnx

Caroline County Maryland peach peach disease brown rot

Thank you for your question.

You are describing brown rot disease, a very common and devastating fungal disease that infects stone fruits.

We have a lot of good information on our website, including a link to a spray schedule for peach.Just click "Diseases." You will see a link to a spray schedule.

Because of our humid summer weather you can expect this disease every year. Spraying a labelled fungicide, such as Captan or Immunox, when blooms are 5% open and again when they are 90% open, will help control the disease. Removing all diseased and mummified fruit is also very important. JT