Remove and replace Paulownia Trees

I am a home owner with property adjacent to the Hawlings River park in north east Montgomery County. The previous owner planted about 12 Paulownia Trees 20 years ago. I would like to remove them and replace them with something healthier for the surrounding forest. We are on a significant slope and I am concerned about erosion that might occur when we remove the trees. I need recommendations or suggestions on what to plant as replacement that would best minimize this effect, both short and long term. Are there any programs or advice you could suggest that might be helpful?

Montgomery County Maryland native trees native trees paulownia tree

Any trees native to Maryland would be good. Oak, willow, cherry, birch, poplar and crabapple are the top 6 trees for supporting lepidoptera insect species, and thus fulfilling food needs in many wildlife food chains.

Don't worry about getting big trees, as they take longer to established and start growing. Very small saplings may struggle unless you can give them plenty of TLC. Be sure to protect them from deer. That is a critical factor in renewing forests these days.

A wonderful reference for native plants is the free online "Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Landscaping: Chesapeake Bay Watershed." Give photos with a simple cultural chart format to easily find info.