Deer herd

We own 57 acres of land in ST Mary's County. We don't hunt and have not allowed hunting on our land. We now have a herd of 14 to 20 white tail deer. Our neighbor, who really wants to hunt on our land, says they will die of starvation since our land can not support that many. I really need to know what to do. I love the deer and watching them and the babies in the spring. We are in Valley Lee, on the Potomac River. There is a lot of farm land around us, and I think they range over that. I really need advice here. I don't want them killed, but I don't want them to starve either. Kathryn Guldi

St. Mary's County Maryland

I don't think you have anything to worry about since your 57 acres is only a fraction of the deer's habitat. I am including a web address and contact info for the Dept. of Natural Resources, Wildlife Division.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/wtdeerbiology.aspx

Southern Region Manager
(Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles,
Prince George’s & St Mary’s Counties)
David Heilmeier
MD DNR – Wildlife and Heritage Service
Hallowing Point Service Center
6904 Hallowing Lane
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
410-535-0282

Deer Project Leader
Brian Eyler
Maryland DNR - Wildlife and Heritage Service
Indian Springs WMA
14038 Blairs Valley Road
Clear Spring, MD 21722
301-842-0332

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I feel much better. I didn't tell you that the majority of our land is woods, with not much for them to eat unless it's leaves etc. We do however have several acres in pasture, and young pines with lots of grass underneath since we have thinned them out. Does this change the dynamics at all?
Kathryn Guldi

Not really, deer are browse eaters so they like the forest and mast (nut) producing trees like oaks and hickories.

Thank you, now I can enjoy my deer without worrying about them
Kathryn