Treatment for green ash

Last my ash tree leafed out just fine. I went away for two weeks. When I returned to tree was denuded. Then it re-leafed. Throughout the summer it dropped leaves but did not completely defoileate. We had a very cold and wet spring. The leaves look like anthracnose along with many dead small limbs. Now in early spring before budbreak I am seeing small leisions in the bark and small holes in these spots. I have also seen a very small number of woodpeckers. This could mean emerald ash bore. I really want to keep this tree It is at least 75 years old an very large and 60 to 70 feet. I understand their is a treatment for the bore an injection into the bark. I would like to know the chemical and the time and procedures to accomplish this Or is it to late and I should just remove the tree. If it is anthracnose. It's not possible to spray

Prince George's County Maryland emerald ash borer trees green ash saving ash tree

It is very possible that your tree has emerald ash borers, based on your description *(though you can also send us photos.) If more than a fourth of the tree is infested, it may not be possible to save it. Trees can be chemically treated, but that must be done by a tree service company.

We're recommend that you have an arborist certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) take a look at it. Many tree service companies have such arborists on their staff, and they usually will come out and assess and diagnose the tree for no charge. (Only a charge if work is done.) To find a certified arborist near you, follow t he prompts on the ISA website: www.treesaregood.org

There is much more helpful information about emerald ash borer on our website. Just put it in our website searchbox.