Starting spinach and peas

Based on the chart, this is the normal week for my areas to plant peas and spinach. With the snow, should that change? I know these plants can withstand cold weather, but I didn't know if ground temps were much colder than usual.

Anne Arundel County Maryland climate change spring vegetables planting spring vegetables

Thank you for your question.

What a crazy winter and spring! Based on the medium and long term forecast it is ok to plant peas and spinach once you can get into the garden. Soaking the seeds in water for 24 hours prior to planting will give them a head start. You can also pre-germinate the seeds in a shallow bowl with 1/2 inch of water, or on a wet paper towel.

Consider covering the seeds after planting in your garden with a floating row cover to prevent birds and insects from eating the seeds or seedlings. JT