Hi! I am growing produce and plan on selling leafy greens, microgreens, and...

Asked March 11, 2017, 8:41 PM EST

Hi! I am growing produce and plan on selling leafy greens, microgreens, and herbs at the farmers market. What are the laws on how I can package my produce? I heard you can not place it in a closed bags, but can I place them in plastic containers? Can I sell the lettuce, alive, with roots still attached? Can I put my logo sticker on bags or containers? Any information will be helpful, Katie

Franklin County Ohio farmers markets local foods farmers market food safety

Actually, you can package in plastic bags and containers, and you can put labels on the bags. There are no label requirements like there are for processed or cottage foods. These bags are considered a convenience package. You can also sell lettuce with roots attached, Some high-end grocers are doing that in stores.

Thank you for answer. I was at a farm visit and one of the farmers said with leafy greens you can't have them in a sealed bag or closed container and once you put a sticker on it, they are considered 'packaged' and subject to labeling regulations. I could not find anything online, so decided to ask here. Thanks so much for your response!