Large Maple Tree root has been cut, how will it affect the tree

Asked March 10, 2017, 11:33 AM EST

During construction of a neighbor's retaining wall at the back of my yard, a 5-7 inch root of a mature 50 foot maple tree was cut with a chainsaw. The cut was made about six feet from the trunk, which is about four feet thick. Other smaller roots may have also been cut. How can this be expected to affect the tree ? I would like to know if this makes the tree at risk to fall or I can just take a wait and see approach.

Baltimore County Maryland roots trees cut by digging

There is not much that can be done for roots damaged by digging or mechanical damage. A minor amount of damage may have no visible effect but severe damage will cause branch dieback. The best help for root damaged trees is to prevent any additional stress. Keep the tree well watered during dry periods. Make sure mulch is not thicker than several inches and keep away from the trunk.
You also have the option of consulting with a certified arborist for an onsite diagnosis and the best way to proceed http://www.treesaregood.org/