returning bagworms

Asked March 9, 2017, 7:04 PM EST

Hello- A row of shrubs developed a bagworm infestation 2 years ago. I sprayed them with Thuricide (a few times) and it did the trick. However, they decided to return last year. Again, I sprayed with success after seeing they were back. I am assuming they will try to set up camp again this year. Right? When should I start spraying to prevent them from even starting their "bags"? I want to get these guys ASAP. Thank you so much for your expert advice. I have used this service on a number of occasions with great success. You are terrific! Thanks again-

Anne Arundel County Maryland shrubs bagworms

Spray as soon as you notice the small bags on your trees or shrubs. Time frame to spray is usually between mid-June and July. See more on our website http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/bagworms-trees-and-shrubs

mh- Any suggestions on frequency to spray and how many times? I know it would depend on the severity of the infestation. Looked at the link on bagworms and I plan on trying to pull off as many old bags as I can find. Sounds like a fun activity. Looking forward to it. Wish I could round up some kids and pay them for it. Thank you for your prompt response! Wish me luck. Hope this will be the last year to deal with this. Patti

If you have been spraying and you remove as many bags as you can find (and trash them), you likely will not have a problem this year, and you won't need to spray at all.
The thing to do is monitor the situation and pull bags as you see them.
If you can't reach them all, you can spray (or hire someone) with Bt as you see them.