Garlic

Asked March 9, 2017, 12:02 PM EST

Hi, I am growing garlic for the first time this spring. I would like to replant in the fall, using the garlic that I harvest from my spring planting. My question is: After I harvest my spring planting, can I immediately replant those cloves in the ground for my fall planting? Or do I have to put the garlic in storage for a certain amount of time before re-planting those?

Baltimore County Maryland garlic vegetable

In general garlic does not do well in spring plantings. Spring plantings produce smaller bulbs because size is related to the number of leaves initiated prior to bulbing. Make sure you do not plant garlic from the grocery store. It may be a symptomless disease carrier. Purchase certified, disease-free garlic bulbs for planting from reputable seed sources.
Garlic is best planted in the fall. Plant individual cloves between Oct. 1 and Nov. 1 so they have time to grow roots and a few leaves before cold weather sets in. See our Vegetable Profile for more information http://extension.umd.edu/growit/vegetable-profiles-garlic

Thank you for the response. But I don't think that answered my question. I am aware that fall planting does better, but I bought some from a company and wanted to try it. What I want to know is:

After I harvest my spring planting, can I immediately replant those cloves in the ground for my fall planting? Or do I have to put the garlic in storage for a certain amount of time before re-planting those?

After you harvest your spring crop, Store until planting in October - November. See harvesting and storage recommendations above.