Soil test results question

Asked March 6, 2017, 12:29 PM EST

Hello, we got our soil test results back last week on 7 different plots. Thanks for the detailed reports and recommendations. I do have some questions, though. I noticed that the report shows K, P, Zn, Mg, Ca, soil/buffer pH, and so on. Why are there no N levels? Is that because it's hard to get an accurate reading of N? Does it have to do with the Mehlich 3 testing? We live on a east facing slope, and I've noticed that the 5 plots highest on the hill have the lowest pH, ranging 4.9-5.1, and the nutrient levels are very low. However, the two lowest plots on the hill have a pH of 5.6 and 6.3, and very good nutrient levels. Is there an explanation for these discrepancies? My plot I'm planning to plant blueberries has a pH of 4.9, so it looks like I won't have to acidify it too much. The 5 higher plots have pretty low Ca, so I guess those will need liming. Which type do you recommend? OK, thank you for your time, and have a good day, Bob

Lewis County Kentucky soil testing agriculture lewis county kentucky

Hello. Thank you for your question. For specific assistance, please contact the Lewis County Extension Agriculture Agent. I have included the contact information below.

Philip R Konopka

Extension Agent