Transplanting

Asked March 5, 2017, 9:25 AM EST

I'm wondering if I could transplant Japanese pachysandra now. I have a large shrub I cut down and want to dig out and need to move the ground cover. I don't know how well the pachysandra will transplant but I figure it's worth a try. Of course, I want to do it now but will wait until it's warmer if that's the best option. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Marilyn Butler

Hennepin County Minnesota

You should wait until the weather is consistently warm before doing any transplanting (around Mid-May). As careful as we are, plants undergo transplant shock which can compromise their overall performance. At this time of year, plants are not able to sufficiently take up water. This can increase plant stress. In addition, we could still easily get colder weather and snow to compound issues for newly transplanted plants.