Identification of invasive weed/grass/plant

Asked March 3, 2017, 4:27 PM EST

Hello, Can you identify what this weed/grass/plant is as shown in the attached photo, and what I can spray it with to kill it without harming the grass? It started in my lawn in the spring of last year and it's worse again this spring. Thanks, Larry Payne

Daviess County Kentucky plant identification daviess county kentucky horticulture

Dear Mr. Payne, Grasses are difficult to identify. Could you please bring in a sample with the roots to our office located at 4800A New Hartford Rd., Owensboro? We are located on the campus of the Owensboro Community and Technical College. Our phone number is 270-685-8480. With grasses we have to see how the blade is arranged in the bud and other specific characteristics. Please let me know if you are not able to dig up the weed and bring it to the office. Thank you.