Emerald Ash Borer

Asked February 27, 2017, 7:26 AM EST

Hello, I believe we have ash trees being damaged by the EAB and woodpeckers. I see the following larvae marks under all the bark that has been stripped by the woodpeckers and I see the "D" shaped holes. My question is - what is being done to prevent further dames and does the county (Howard) or the state still track this or help with management? Now that I think I know what to look for, I see a dozen mature trees nearby that have the same problem. Also, does the EAB go for cherry trees? I have 15 or more cherry trees in my yard and I would like to protect them. Thanks

Howard County Maryland emerald ash borer invasive trees eab

The good news: Emerald Ash Borer does not bother any trees but ash so your cherry trees are fine.

The bad news: EAB is established in your area and there is nothing to be done with trees showing extensive symptoms other than removing them. Sooner rather than later as they loose their structural integrity sooner rather than later and some tree companies will not deal with them if left too long.
The state is no monitoring for it on the western shore any longer.
Trees that are mostly healthy can be protected however.
Take a look at this link for the most recent information: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/invasives/emerald-ash-borer