Shade tolerant trees, shrubs, and vines

I have a small patio (10' x 7') that faces north. I would like to grow a few small trees and/or shrubs (such as topiary) in containers, and would like some recommendations. Also, I would like suggestions for shade-tolerant vines that are okay for a wooden fence. Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon landscape plants horticulture

Thank you for your question about shade tolerant plants. I could start rattling them off for your, but I think this link to a Metro publication would be much more complete and helpful. It is a guide to native plants which, due to centuries of adaptation to our light, water and seasonal variations, thrive in the Willamette Valley. On page 7, you'll see the icons, and you can look for them below the descriptions of the plants.

This guide covers trees (large and small), shrubs and bushes and bulbs.

This link describes vines that thrive in the shade, including trumpet creeper (tho it can be invasive), sweet autumn clematis and alpine clematis and the Chinese varieties of wisteria. The last one suggested is California pipevine or California Dutchman's pipe.

I hope you find this helpful. Good luck!